Formex Industries has just been awarded an A-rating in Volkswagen’s latest VDA 6.3 process audit. VDA stands for ‘Verband der Automobilindustrie’ and the audit sets the standard for evaluating and improving controls in a manufacturing facility’s new product introduction and manufacturing processes.
VDA 6.3 is a process audit, so it looks at the entire product lifecycle of the components produced by Formex and other manufacturers. As with all standards and regulations, there is a growing emphasis on identifying, assessing and managing risks. The audit examines change management and customer satisfaction too.
Volkswagen South Africa has given Formex an A-rating after four years of audits. In the first year, Formex achieved an 81% B-rating. This has improved year-on-year and now, in 2021, we were given a 90% A-rating. Formex is one of the few press component facilities to be given this top rating, which means that we are truly an industry leader in automotive component manufacturing.
More information about the VDA 6.3 audit
VW provides VDA 6.3 audits for all worldwide parts producers in Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 3, that supply components to companies in the VW Group. The requirements for German vehicle brands are unique and complex, so this audit sets out original guidelines for associated companies to meet.
The standards were comprehensively restructured in 2010 to align with the changes to the ISO 9001 certification. Passing the VDA 6.3 audit allows a manufacturer to become a supplier to any German automaker, not just VW. Mercedes-Benz (Daimler), BMW and VW are just a few of the renowned brands that require this certification. A business with an A-rating must demonstrate the following:
- Documentation on the development of effective production systems in automobile manufacturing and procedures of supply and distribution.
- Quality assurance measures and responsibility of automobile manufacturers for supply.
- Informative and well-experienced staff and employees in the organisation.
- IATF 16949:2016 or VDA 6.1 certified
- Assessment of product suitability according to Formula Q-capability/Q-capability software.
- Internal Audits according to IATF 16949:2016 Formula Q-capability or KVP Continual Improvement Process.
- Self-assessment at least once annually according to Q-capability with documentation.
- Ensure that all risks in the supply chain are clearly identified and systematic measures are implemented.
As a direct supplier of automotive components to VW and an indirect supplier to Mercedes-Benz, Formex is proud to receive an A-rating in the VDA 6.3 audit. For more information about our products and components, please leave us a message.
Formex Industries is a metal forming and assembly company that supplies a variety of complex products to the local automotive industry and the export market. The company is based in the Nelson Mandela Bay metropole, South Africa’s foremost region for automotive manufacturing and export.
Formex is a supplier with 69% black ownership, of which 37% are black women. The company is owned by Deneb Investments Limited – a subsidiary of Hosken Consolidated Investments Limited (HCI) – one of South Africa’s biggest true B-BBEE companies listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (JSE).
Follow us on Facebook for the latest industry news and features relating to our products and services.